Friday, August 8, 2008

My Continueing Story of Toronto

Soon after my conversation with Grant, I had my first job interview. Not just my first interview with IBM, by my first real job interview. The only other job interviews I have had lasted less then five minutes.
That could be why I did so poorly. Be the end of the interview I was stuttering and stumbling over every word. By the end of the interview I knew I had blown it.

So there was my one chance, gone. It sucked pretty bad to have so much of what I have worked for blown away in such a short time.

I waited for awhile. Hoping that perhaps I was just being harsh on myself. But I gave up all hope when Grant was offered the position, and I hadn't heard a word back.

Then i got an email from a manager in another group, offering another interview. I was surprised to say the least.

I went into this interview a little more prepared, and a lot more relaxed. The interview went very well. In fact, I was offered the position by the end of the interview. Then I got another interview, followed by another offer.

Getting the offers was felt even better after being so certain I had wasted my only chance.

So Grant and I were heading to Toronto.

We quickly decided that if we were both heading to the same place at the same time, it would be a good idea to be roommates.

We soon began looking looking for place in Toronto. We found several places online and quickly, and started filtering through them based on location and other such considerations. We found a place that we liked, and filled out an application. And everything looked like it was taken care of well in advance.

It wasn't until a day or two before we left that we were told that our application was rejected and we had no place to live. Apparently although there were places to rent in Toronto, it wasn't so easy to rent them starting out fresh like we were.

In a frantic panic I jumped online, and searched for apartments in Toronto. I followed the first link that I found. And I called the first number that came up. They had a place for us and so we sent off an application. The apartment was a better price, and a better location then the one we had been turned down for.

I thought that I would have a place to stay all set up by the time I got to Toronto, so i had declined IBM's invitation for a hotel room. I had to quickly get that fixed.

But, as I found out when we got there, it wasn't going to be so easy as that.

No comments: